Monday, February 20, 2012

great book 5 stars

Lost Kingdom: The Last Queen, the Sugar Kings and America's First Imperial AdventureLost Kingdom: The Last Queen, the Sugar Kings and America's First Imperial Adventure by Julia Flynn Siler

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book was a wonderful and sad book of what happened to Hawaii's last Queen and her nation.For me being an american I am ashamed of what happened to the peaceful people.The book starts out with Captian Cooks landing and ends with Hawaii becoming a state.There are so many things that happened in between. This author did a great job researching every thing she could get hands on.This book sheds light on a part of the history of america that I was never taught in school and I can see why I wasn't it was not one of our more shinning moments.Hawaii was pure in a way that was unlike any where else in the world at that time.Then people saw they could make millions from sugar and that's what they did reguardless of the natives wellfare history or ownership of the land.I couldn't help but think of the Native American Indians in the United States.This book was so well researched the author was able to read personal letters of the queens and others from the time.You get to feel like your there with the poor queen hoping that she will get back what is rightful hers but alas it wasn't to be.

I would read more books written by this author in a heartbeat.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment